Skip Permits – Do you need one?

July 15, 2015


If you are thinking of hiring a skip for your home, and you do not have a driveway or garden to set it on, then you may need to place it on the road or property which is owned by the council, in which case you will require a skip permit from your local authority. These are the requirements laid out in the Highways Act 1980: section 139 road traffic regulations act, 1984.


Skip permits can be obtained through your local council, if you are unsure which council your property falls under we recommend you use the “Find your Local Authority” which is available on However, it is common practice especially in Wales, for the skip permit application to be submitted directly from approved skip companies, like ourselves, as appose to the general public.


Permit Process: How Much Does it Cost to Hire a Skip?

We recommend you allow at least 48 hours’ notice for the skip application to be submitted, processed and approved. The price of the permit and the duration that the permit is valid for can vary widely between Local Authorities. Here are just a few examples for skip permits around Wales;


Newport City Council                                      £36                              Valid for 1 month


Cardiff County Council                                    £67                              valid for 1 month


Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council       £40                              valid for 1 week


City and County of Swansea                           £32                              valid for 28 days


We are aware that the skip hiring process can be expensive without any additional costs; therefore we recommend you complete all your home DIY works or clear-outs before your permit expires, to save you purchasing another one. You can however have as many skip exchanges during the period of time that your permit is valid for.



All of our GD skips are clearly labelled with our name and contact number. However, we do recommend if you are placing the skip on a busy road you will require traffic cones on the approach side of the skip, to guide traffic safely past the skip.

During night and bad weather conditions, it is advised that the skip is marked with amber flashing lights which should be attached to the corners of the skip.

Fines and Penalties

If you locate a skip on a public road without permission from your local authority, you are committing an offence and could be faced with a fine of £200 or, in more serious cases; you can be taken to court and be fined up to £1000.


Contact us

If you have any questions about the skip hiring process in Wales, or need some clarification on skip permits, then don’t hesitate to contact us on 01633 277755 or email With over 35 years of experience within the skip hire industry, we’ll take the hassle out of the skip hiring process.